Thursday, August 6, 2015

NOISE


 

 I tried not to say the words

Tried not to speak

Tried not to hear my thoughts

The noise they would release

My mind would not be silent

My heart would not be quiet

No amount of meditation

Could convince them to be still 

No sleep

The words continued

No gate

The words contained

Broke through the wall of will

Like water crashing from the sky

And as the words fell between us

I saw it in your eyes

The light that filled my rooms with hope

Began to dim

A joy you held so near

Felt smaller now

Pulled at the seams

Less important

And frayed

Betrayed by my words out of place

 

If I could take this moment

And change it back to then

If I could pull them back

Change them in some way

They would not be the words

I choose today

But the past cannot be swayed

The line must read the same

They remain throughout our lives

Lying between us

The dust will not cover them

The weeds will not grow

Great stones have given way

And I see them everyday

I tried not to say the words

Tried not to speak

Tried not to hear my thoughts

The noise they would release

 

Tony Whitford 7/22/2015 ©

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment