Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Red White and Blue Son


I fought for this corner

Splitting my take was unacceptable

So I fought for the right to own it

And won

So now I keep it all

For me and mine

Food for my thoughts

You have more

You worked for it

But I work for mine too

 

Flying a cardboard flag

One arm makes it harder to hold

Harder to fold

I tried to keep a job

Though sometimes I see things

That make it hard to do

But I don’t complain

I walk the holy ground

My brothers helped defend

Some of them can’t walk at all

 

Need help

Homeless vet

Most people think it’s a scam

Too lazy to work

Must be crazy

Eyes averted

You see me

Watching the light

Doesn’t make it go away

 

I try to stay clean

I have a toothbrush in my pocket

Gas station bathrooms

Bottled water

Hotel rooms

Stained and broken

Wash my clothes when I can

 

Can’t help this time

That’s okay

I’ll be here tomorrow

Flying my flag

Standing under the red, white, and blue sun

Still here

Still proud

Try to take me down

My colors don’t run

 

Tony Whitford © 8/10/2015

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment